Saturday, November 7, 2009

Disease prevention

How can academic institutions take a more active role in disease prevention for women?

I think that offering services is the only way for institutions to be active in disease prevention. The offering of classes regarding various diseases, testing services, and possibly some counseling regarding these diseases would be great. As it has been pointed out TWU offers some of this with their HIV testing and counseling and the like. I think that it is wonderful that this is available for students on campus. As a non-traditional student, both as online and with the fact that this is my second go round in school, I have to ask the question: Is this the academic institutions responsibility? I think that it's great when these services are offered but ultimately the responsibility for prevention of disease, of any kind, is in the hands of the person. These services only give information to the person, they cannot make the person do anything about it. Having the information available, without judgement towards the person is just about all the institution is able to do. Also there are other facilities where these services are offered. If someone does not have insurance, they can go to clinics in their area, I have never lived in any town that did not have a free/prorated clinic within 20 miles of the town. I assume that there are some but if one is that concerned they will go where they are able to get the information. Many doctors offices also give discounts to private pay patients, one just has to tell them that they are private pay, and ask for the discount.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Carlee,

    I enjoyed reading your post. The one thing that stood out to me was when you asked if it is the academic institutions responsibility to teach about women's health. It's not an institutions responsibility however, with students spending a majority of their time within that institutions walls, it would be great to teach them early on how to live active and healthier lives. Students most of the time live sedentary lives because all they focus on are their assignments and studying before the next class day. With these they can pick up bad eating habits or take up smoking or drinking as a way to relieve the stress they feel as students. So if institutions are a little bit more proactive in teaching students to be good students in addition to not forsaking their health in order to do so will be a great help to many who don't have support systems outside of school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carlee,
    There are many factors involved in disease prevention and as you mentioned regardless the situation the ultimate decision relies on the person. I think that academic institutions or institutions of any type that promote wellness play a huge role in the continuing promotion of wellness and awareness in the community. And, I agree with the fact the only way to keep promoting wellness is through offering services. For those who are less fortunate and don’t have the access to higher education/health care, local institutions or non-profit organizations, etc. are one of their options when it comes to look for help and these organizations offer more that just a screening, or a test.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Carlee.

    I enjoyed reading your post, and agree that schools and universities seem to do a pretty good job with health promotion and screening. But the process pretty much stops at this point, and the real followup, testing, and taking care of one's own health is really up to the individual. Other than basic screening, schools and universities should at least have a referral system to assist students in making their own health care choices, and I honestly think most colleges today do a fair job in this regard.

    Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us.

    Carol Martin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,

    I understood your views on what institutions can and cannot do for an able body person. Institutions can start by at least offering the courses but it is usually up to the person to take advantage of the opportunity. However this plan may not be the best bet to help the people of the community who are not required to take the said curriculum. For example I am not able to indulge in any course I like I have strict guidelines I must follow or I may not receive a degree in what I desire. Therefore I propose institutions make woman's health classes mandatory.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carlee,
    I think also for the most part that most institutions currently offer symposiums and literature to students to keep the students aware of how they can take care of their health and well being. I think where it might be lacking is when you are in the workforce. I think that some companies like Yahoo for one really promotes physical and mental well being. Christy Burbage

    ReplyDelete