Saturday, December 12, 2009

Balance?

What are some possible strategies for women to use in finding balance in their professional, educational and personal lives?

There are all kinds of strategies that can be done. Using to do lists to prioritize activities, taking time to plan the coming week during the weekend (like planning menu's), making meals and freezing for quick cooking during the week. Other things can include allowing or even paying help for the less important things. Pay a housekeeper to do the heavy cleaning, have a service do the laundry. There are tons of ideas to help save time for work and personal requirements, many books have been written and people have great ideas of how to work tie better. I assume that many people are like me and the problem is not knowing what to do, but more about actually doing the things that will help with time management. It's kinda like weight loss in that respect, most know what to do or where to find the information but no one loses weight without doing those things. I make lists for everything, I plan out my days with what needs to be done for school and for work, I plan menus for the week and make a grocery list for those menus. I try to follow my plans, although sometimes I think that I am more stressed because I am not following my plan rather than because I am not able to get anything done. I also know that the things that worked for me years ago no longer do, whether because I am older or the demands of my family are so different now. Finding ways to balance all areas of life as well as de-stress when needed is an ongoing process.

6 comments:

  1. Carlee,
    You have the right idea, I used to try and do it all and would get very stressed out about the house and meals. Now I try to simplify and get a couple of home cooked meals per week, and try to assign the housework and not beat myself up because the house is not perfect, I did that for a long time. I don't sweat the small stuff anymore and enjoy doing as much as I can and just spending time on my relationships with my family and friend has become my priority. Christy Burbage
    Thank you for a great semester and maybe we will be in a class together again next semester!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, balancing family and school responsibilities is very tricky, and some part always gets left out in the end. Life can be very stressful under these conditions and many people cannot handle it all and may have what is called a nervous breakdown. Stress management is a very important aspect of life to me, If I get too stressed out then nothing will get done and it creates a visions cycle of late work and missed recitals. Good luck on your journey to complete your degree.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Carlee.

    I enjoyed reading your post regarding "Balance" and how we, as women, try to do this while maintaining work, home, family, school, the household, etc. Too bad we don't have a few extra hours every day .... problem is, if we had the extra hours, we'd use every minute just trying to handle as many things as possible in a limited amount of time.

    You seem to have the right idea, though: realize what you need to make time for, and what you don't, and allow others to help with the "daily life" things, so you'll have time for the most important things.

    Best wishes to you in your future scholastic endeavors. Hoping you and your family have a happy, blessed holiday season.

    Carol Martin

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your idea on planning menus for the week and grocery shopping according to them. Although it is kind of expensive if you don't already have an iphone I stongly recommend it. I used to make lists for everything and then.... lose them in my purse or pocket. Iphone has a note pad so that your list is with you anytime your phone is. They also have a great calender and apps. for grocery lists/comparing prices and all kinds of other things. It has really helped me to be more organized.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoy reading your blog and great ideas!! Even though I don't have any kids yet, I have always been very organized but, I know that when kids arrive everything can be hectic and following plans might not always work. Women live under a lot of pressure in America, and I wish we have help of some kind to make everthing a little easier.

    ReplyDelete