Saturday, September 26, 2009

Reality Sex

Should sex education be provided in the school system - emphatically yes. There is no doubt in my mind that it should be. And what type should it be - reality sex. I believe that sex education should be taught without any regard to cultural, religious, or any other background out there. It should be matter of fact, focusing on the physical consequences rather than any of the other issues out there. Leave the cultural and religious belief systems for students to be taught at home by their parents. If those aspects of sex education are so important for the parents then they will want to handle that at home. As for school, I think that sex education should start earlier than it does now, and I think that it should focus more on what students fear rather than what are the worst consequences. We all know that AIDS and other sexually transmitted diseases can be the worst results of promiscuity but most teens have the "it won't happen to me" syndrome and it is hard to fake/role play the results of contracting a disease. For many teens the idea of pregnancy is the consequence, although many still don't believe that it will happen to them. Students who participate in role playing education such as wearing pregnant bellies or having life like dolls that they are required to take care of have a much healthier "fear" of the consequences and are more likely to protect themselves or abstain. I also think that if we required more as a society of parents when it comes to teen pregnancy we would have less instance of it. This is slightly off subject but I happen to believe that if we required that parents be responsible for all actions of their children financially until they were 18 then many would be more proactive in the sex education of their children. If welfare was not available until the age of 18 and the grandparents had to support their child along with the grandchild, they might be more willing to have "the talk" and be more involved with their child and their activities.

1 comment:

  1. I agree, I had not looked at sexual education from the point of view you are displaying. It is very wise to separate the physical altercations as well as the emotional ones. Many people tend to get uncomfortable when taking about what not to do in sexuality, but I believe that if we presented a more fact based approach like you stated, then the schools would be more compliant to adapt to the fact that abstinence only school programs are not at all adequate in presenting a real solution. Children want to learn and if we are honest with them they will be honest with us. The fact based approach in school would open the communication barrier between children and their parents. The parent would know exactly where to start and would be able to more confidently portray their own message to their children. I believe this is a more realistic approach and would be very successful.

    ReplyDelete