I would talk to them about why they thought that they had something. Had they "been with" someone who later told them that they had a disease. If so then the likelyhood of having the disease was very great. I would then tell them about the effects that diseases have. In general the two most important factors for me would be imminent death or infertility. In very general terms, there are some diseases that if left untreated would cause sterilization. If this friend was concerned about having children later I would emphasize this point as the consequences to decreased fertility are very great, not only physically, and financially but also emotionally. The emotional turmoil that results from infertility, whether preventable or not, is probably the hardest part to deal with. The other factor, death is probably the most feared. Instead of generalizing it I would be very specific regarding what death looks like. With HIV/AIDS the cause of death can be so different for each but if you just took pneumonia/respiratory problems associated with it, one can be very graphic regarding the consequences. The feeling of "drowning" in ones own bodily fluid should be enough to spur anyone into action. Also, I would try to point out that many diseases can be treated effectively so that none of these consequences have to be endured. The most important factor for successful treatment of disease is time. The earlier tested the easier the treatment can be. I would ask if the problem was embarrassment. If so then there are options, such as going to a different doctor, a health clinic designed for testing, and I would try to relieve the fear of judgement by medical staff. The people who work in these places are already aware of the stress that can be caused by just the thought of having a STD and they are very good at causing more undue stress. Lastly, I would offer to go with my friend and be there with them. I would also offer to be tested along with them if that would help them to go. It can be very comforting to know that someone else if going through the same process for testing and results. I would hope that if this were a real case I would do everything I could to help that person understand the importance and urgency of being tested. Not only to themselves but also to future partners.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Sounds like you would be a good friend. I think in a situation such as this being a good friend involves not only being caring and compassionate, but also giving accurate information. Even if at first the friend is nervous and doesn't want to hear what long term effects an STD could have, it is important they do. I also think it is always important to reassure friends that if they go to a gynecologist or clinic, these people deal with similar or often worse situations everyday. They are there to help not judge.
ReplyDeleteThis is a very good way to approch a friend and encourage them to go get tested if they think they have contracted a STD. I also think it is very brave of you to get tested with your friend as well to make them feel more comfortable. I agree that one reason people to not like to get tested because they are embarrased, but what they fail to realize is that almost everyone in that clinic is there for the same thing getting tested. You are right if they are ashamed that someone might see them go to another doctor, a little ways from there house. Some friends find it some what comforting slso when you tell them tht you had to go through the same thing, so if you have to make up a story to make them feel a little more comfortable. Also let them know that they are not the only one struggling with this, there are so many more people experiencing the same kind of fright they are.
ReplyDeleteI agree, talking to a friend is often hard to do, but a good friend would do what is best for their close friend. Talking about STD's is the first step in solving the problem. Education is the only hope for many problems in the world today, but among the top is good sexual health education in public schools. Abstinence is a thing of the past, I believe that if children learned safer sex practices they may gain the knowledge to protect themselves in a compromising situation.
ReplyDeleteHi Carlee,
ReplyDeleteI enjoy your posting. Most people think that talking to a friend about STDs is easier. Personally, I will be very embarassed talking to a friend about STDs, I would if I do not have a choice. The problem of our society, some people with disease will not talk to their physician until the disease is too late. The fact about HPV, if the carrier of the virus is the men, most likely they do not know they carry the virus because most men do not get a routine test for HPV like women can be detected through PAP SMEAR. Unfurtunately, more men then to have multiple partners compare to women.