Friday, October 23, 2009
Menopause
I think that the first way for societies view of menopause to change is for women to become educated. This means not only learning what the symptoms are, but also in finding ways to lessen those symptoms. I also think we need to control our reactions to what is happening to the body. The old saying forwarned is forarmed has good application here. By listening to the body and recognizing symptoms early it will be easier for women to help decrease the effects of those symptoms. Also, I think that the concept of "female problems" as an excuse to get out of things is used too much, although not as much as the media portrays. Yes, it is really a pain when a women has cramps and other symptoms related to their period or menopause symptoms, but whether you take something or not, move on. Do not perseverate on the way that you feel or the symptoms you are experiencing. Gone are the days when this would really get you out of any type of work. With the medical advancements and the medications that are available it is just ridiculous anyone would try this. That is not to say that if you have symptoms not to discuss them with your doctor and try to get relief that way. I work in a predominately female environment and I do encounter this almost on a daily basis. Because it is a medical field maybe my coworkers feel more comfortable talking about these topics, but I feel that it would be the case whether where I am or elsewhere with the same women.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hi,Carlee
ReplyDeleteI agree with you 100% if women were more educated on menopause and aware about what is about to take place the symptoms of menopause would lessen. Like I mentioned in my blog my aunt started to go through menopause and it was hard for her to sleep at night and she would get really hot and start to feel weird, she would just get up and go to the hospital. If I was knowledgeable about menopause back then I would have been able to help her and let her know that it is ok her body is just going through the changes. So many women are not aware of the many different symptoms they may experience when they begin to hit that age of menopause there physician should definitely begin to discuss the different symptoms and complications they may have so they will not be so alarmed.