Saturday, November 14, 2009

Chronic Illness

I did not have to do a formal interview with someone who has a chronic disease. My mother has MS and has been in good condition for about 10 years. When she was diagnosed she was unable to feel anything from about her breastbone down to her toes. She was confined to a wheelchair that I had to borrow from the nursing home that I worked in. As the take charge daughter, I had to take off work and take care of her for a couple weeks. Once we were able to see the doctor she was placed on large amounts of steroids IV and some other medications. She regained the strength back in her legs and after several months of exercise and work she was able to get back to where she was before the episode. In order to keep herself healthy she has to makes sure that she gets plenty of rest. She eats lots of fruit to keep hydrated and keep her system working well. She has to make sure that she does not get overheated because that could bring on a exacerbation of her symptoms. For years she took a medication called Copaxone to prevent further degradation of the nerves. It was a daily shot that she had to give herself. She took it for about 8 years. It made hard knots in her body where she gave the shots. She has since lost her health insurance and can no longer afford the cost of the medication so she has not been taking it for about 2 years. She has not had any problems as of yet but she has to be extra careful not to do anything that would cause her to become symptomatic. As I mentioned, I work in a nursing home where I treat people with chronic disease every day. Now, I understand that being in a nursing home does not offer all the freedoms that the average person has, but people don't do a complete 180 when they get there. I see people everyday who expect a doctor to be able to give them a pill to get rid of symptoms and they don't have to do anything themselves. It's sad that people are not willing to work to make their bodies healthier so that they don't have these problems later. They eat poorly, smoke, drink, don't exercise and have no interest in trying to find natural ways to help alleviate their symptoms. I don't mean they smoke a little or drink a little, I mean heavily. As a former smoker I know how hard it is to quit, but it is not impossible. If someone has a real desire to be healthier they can. I know that what I have seen is a limited portion of people who have multiple problems but given the current population age it is obvious that people need to treat their bodies better. This does include me.

2 comments:

  1. Carlee,

    I enjoyed reading your post and I am glad to know that your mother is currently doing ok with dealing with her MS. My mom has diabetes and she chooses to keep me out of the loop with what she's going through because she's one of those people who don't want people worrying about her. So I've had to take it upon myself to know sort of the basics of what she needs in order to stay healthy. I won't bring her certain "sweets" knowing she's not supposed to have it. I also check with her to make sure she's eaten and takes her insulin. Many people don't get the benefit of having a strong support team so it is encouraging for your mom to know that you are there for her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,

    Your post was very interesting, I did not know that MS could be treated by steroids. I feel for you and your aunt, health care insurance companies are outrageous. Also it is interesting that you related chronic illness to nursing homes and the motivation people have to live once they are in these situations. Many issues in life have to do with having the motivation to complete the task. We can see that once a person is isolated from the world they used to know, I imagine that just about anyone could loose the motivation needed to over come a chronic illness.

    ReplyDelete