I really thought that commenting on this video would be easy but it has brought up many questions and emotions for me. My husband and I are currently researching alternate means of family enlargement so this really is close to my life at this time. I also have friends that are at different levels of the fertility process and this is probably one of the last resorts for couples and is left for those that are more financially well off as it is probably the most expensive.
I know this blog is a little all over the place and I apologize for that.
Hi, Carlee.
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed reading your post regarding surrogate mothers. I must agree that being a surrogate mother must be a difficult decision, whether carrying an embryo from another couple, or carrying a child that would be half-genetic --- either way would be difficult, in my view, and I seriously doubt I could live with this decision. But I do applaud the women who can, and do, make this decision to assist childless couples in their hopes of having a family. I was very blessed to have two wonderful children, and had no major issues with pregnancy. I do have another couple in my family, just married a few years, and they had tremendous difficulty conceiving. They went through the entire, difficult process of fertility testing, failed attempts at IVF, and then miraculously became pregnant without assistance and gave birth to a beautiful baby girl on April 1st of this year. I am happy to report that Cecelia Charlotte is a gorgeous, happy baby girl, and the parents are doing well, too. For the couples not so fortunate, I hope that the surrogate mothers out there will continue what they do to make families happen, even if not their own.
Thanks for sharing your comments with us.
Carol Martin
cmartin18@twu.edu
Carlee,
ReplyDeleteThat was a very heartfelt post. I feel for women who aren't blessed to conceive naturally but yet women who don't give one iota for their kids are blessed with a multitude of them. My heart goes out to you and your husband, and I hope that within God's time and will that you conceive your perfect baby boy or girl.
I really enjoyed your post and hope and pray that someday you and your husband will be blessed with a beautiful baby boy or girl. I was very scarred and concerned when I was not able to concieve, we had tried for over a year finally we got pregnenat wituout knowing it and had a miscarriage. We were told to wait for about a year to try again but we just couldn't, we decided to go see a fertility specialist and I was diagnosed with poly cystic ovaries, which this alone can be a downfall to pregnancy. He put me on a very strict carb diet and glucophage, I could not eat no more that 30 carbs a day so that I could loose weight and prepare me for possible diabetes as well. I was beginning to give up on having any children of my own, my husband had already been clear about his feelings about adopting so that was out of the question and as for any fertility treatments well that option was definately out the door because of the expense, could not affort it, and had no health insurance to cover some expenses if any at all. My sister was kind enough to offer to be our surrogate mother, I greatly appreciated it, but had to turn her offer down because she also had been trying to have another child about a year or so and stopped because she wanted to wait therefore I could not put her through the whole process and then have second thoughts about giving the baby to us. In June 2004 we found out we were pregnant and in Dec. 2004 we had our miracle baby. I wish the best of luck to you and your husband.
ReplyDelete