Sunday, October 4, 2009

Having Children

The question of the ways that culture, beliefs and practices influence the decision to have children is easy, in every way. Culture often dictates an acceptable time in which to have children along with the place in life, jobs and such. Beliefs can include the use of contraception to prevent pregnancy or at least help control it. Practices are probably the most influencing factor since no matter what your culture or beliefs if one engages in sexual activity without taking the appropriate actions to prevent pregnancy then they have left the choice up to another power. In my own home growing up birth control/contraception was available. My mother believed that if she could not prevent me from becoming sexually active, and she couldn't have, that she could at least help me be safe from disease and pregnancy. She discussed contraception with me and was willing to assist me in going to the doctor for birth control pills. She knew that she would be better off to allow me the choice and be safe rather than try to prevent what she couldn't. As a parent, I hope that when the time comes for my daughter to be making these decisions that I will be able to be as open minded as my mother.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I think your Mother was very open-minded! I wish my mother was open with me back then because we never even had “The Talk” and I never had any type of sex education. I believe that giving the options, providing information and explaining the pros and the cons is the best thing you can do for your kids. Because as you mentioned there are things in life that parents just can’t prevent….

    ReplyDelete