Saturday, October 31, 2009

Why aren't I healthier?

What are the biggest challenges to regular exercise and a healthy diet that you face? How are these challenges going to change for you over the next five years?

This is a question that I ask myself practically on a daily basis. The fact that I am overweight makes me think about these and other questions often. The biggest challenges that I have to exercise is that I just don't make the time to do it. I won't say that there isn't enough time because there is, I just have other priorities. I have a full time job, do PRN work, and have a 4 yr old child and husband to take care of. With the extra activities that I have with my daughter along with now being a full time student, it is difficult for me to take time to care for my house let alone exercise. I guess I could give up some of my sleep time to do it, but again priorities. Having a healthy diet is a challenge due to the same factors. Also included is the fact that my husband does help with the cooking but wouldn't know a healthy meal if it came up and kicked him in the butt. I really don't complain about what he cooks because it saves me from the work. He knows that I am unhappy with the way that I look but he is also busy and doesn't take the time to learn how to be healthier. Even though he really needs it also. I don't see these challenges changing for me over the next five years. I feel like I will probably have even more challenges as my daughter gets older and hopefully I will have more children. I do hope that as my husband advances in his career I will be able to work less and will have more time to devote to being healthier, for my whole family. I know that my daughter is learning from what she see me doing and I hope to be able to set a better example for her, but the reality is that for the time being I don't see a change happening.

1 comment:

  1. I agree totally, I am having a hard time balancing my time with my child, work, and fiancee. Exercising usually comes to mind in the evening when the sun has already gone down, I always plan to do better the next day but it never happens. There is always something I put on my to do list right before I choose to exercise. I do have a pointer about sneaking in exercise while shopping for groceries. I park rather far from the building, if its not dark. Then its quite a hike to and from the entrance.

    ReplyDelete